4-H Shooting Sports National Championships
The 2016 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships will be held June 26 - July 1 in Grand Island, Nebraska at the Heartland Public Shooting Park. The event is hosted by Nebraska 4-H. 4-H youth from across the country will compete in compound archery, recurve archery, air rifle, air pistol, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading, and hunting skills.
Airline & Car Rental
The Central Nebraska Regional Airport is located north of Grand Island, approximately 15 minutes from Fonner Park. Please check their website for flight information at: http://www.flygrandisland.com/
Car rental is available at the airport. Thrifty Car Rental has provided the following rates for the 2016 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships:
- Midsize - $41/day
- Fullsize - $45/day
- Midsize - $219/week
- Fullsize - $239/week
To access their direct web site - https://www.thriftyne.com/rentals.php
- Boarders Inn & Suites, 308-384-5150
- Comfort Inn, 308-381-7788, 800-221-2222
- Days Inn I-80, 866-384-5006
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, 308-381-8980
- Hampton Inn, 308-384-9777
- Island Inn, 308-382-1815
- MainStays Suites, 308-227-9976
- Motel 6, 308-384-6666
- Quality Inn I-80, 308-384-7770
- Regency Inns of America, 308-384-4100
- Rodeway Inn, 308-384-1333
- Super 8, 308-384-4380
The Kearney area also offters hotels for the 4-H shooting sports participants.
- Best Western Plus Mid Nebraska Inn & Suites, 888-253-1628
- New Victorian Inn & Suites, 308-237-5858
RV & Camping
- Fonner Park, 308-382-4515
Reserve a space by contacting Kathy Foley, email address (Kathryn.firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (308-382-4515 ext. 213). The fee will be $30.00/night and must be made in advance. Space will be provided on a "reservation first" basis only. They will need to provide the nights they need reserved along with their permanent mailing address and phone number. Payment will be made to Fonner Park and mailed to PO Box 490, Grand Island, NE 68802
- Grand Island KOA, 402-886-2249, 800-562-0850
- Hall County Park, 308-385-5087
- Heartland Public Shooting Park, 308-385-5048
- Mormon Island State Recreation Area, 308-385-6211 (State permit required)
- Wood River Campground, 308-583-2256, 800-967-9961
Places to Eat
Dine around the world in Grand Island, from meat and potatoes to international cuisine. You'll find stone oven pizza, gourmet burgers, Nebraska steaks, homemade pies and old-fashioned malts. Relax and enjoy award winning Nebraska wines and specialty coffees. Most of these food venues are within 10 minutes of the Heartland Events Center. Learn more.
There will be photographers on site capturing daily shooting events.
Every attempt will be made to upload the photographs to the 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships web site at http://4h.unl.edu/4hssnationalchamp/image-results on a nightly basis.
State Team Pictures
Each state team will have an opportunity to have their team photograph taken at the Heartland Events Center on Monday, June 27. The photographs will be available on the4-H Shooting Sports National Championships website. The schedule for team pictures is as follows:
- 3:00-4:00 pm State team pictures for states beginning with letters A-M
- 4:00-4:45 pm State team pictures for states beginning with letters N-S
- 6:15-7:00 pm State team pictures for states beginning with letters T-W
Teams should plan on arriving 10-15 minutes before their appointed time.
The Heartland Public Shooting Park allows use fo golf carts, ATV's, club cars and similar vehicles on site. Individuals can rent two seat golf carts from the Heartland Public Shooting Park for a fee of $50 per day. There are no half day rentals. Contact the Heartland Public Shooting Park (308-385-5048) directly if you are interested in renting a golf cart. This request must be made by May 6, 2016 to guarantee availability. Operators of all vehicles at the Heartland Public Shooting Park must be 18 years of age or older and hold a valid driver's license. Violations of this rule is ground for disqualification for any individual or team involved. No golf carts, ATV's, club cars or similar vehicle will be allowed on the 3D and Field Archery ranges during competition this year.
- Wade Bentley - Cairo NE (308) 379-6635 (cell)
- Darlo Beasley - Grand Island (308) 382-9573 - GI Loan
- Boops Shooters - Grand Island (308) 675-1745 or (605) 261-9322 (cell)
- Top Arms - Grand Island (308) 381-2755
Black Powder Gun Repair
- Bob Watts - Cedar Rapids NE (308) 750-9000 (cell) Repairs only made in Cedar Rapids
- Top Arms - Grand Island (308) 381-2755
- Boops Shooters, 924 Concord Ave., Grand Island (308) 675-1745
- G.I. Loan Shop, Inc, 1004 W 2nd St., Grand Island (308) 382-9573
- Old Market Firearms, 713 West 1st St., Hastings (402) 461-4527
- Old West Guns, 924 Central Ave., Kearney (308) 237-7900
- Top Arms, 2401 E Hwy 30, Grand Island (308) 381-2755
Arrows & Supplies
- Bass Pro Shop @ Allen's Superstore, 1115 W 2nd St., Hastings (402) 463-5633
- Archery Dynamics, 4387 E Hadco Rd., Hastings (402) 984-4573
The popular silent auction will be held on Wednesday evening, June 29. All states are invited to donate at least one item representing their state to put on the auction. This could be a gift basket, t-shirt, hat or any item that is appropriate for an auction. Please turn items into the Registration Desk by 6:00 p.m. on Monday, June 27. Or items can be shipped to arrive in Grand Island after June 15th. Address shipping label to read – Fonner Park, Attn: National 4-H Shooting Sports/D. Willey, 700 E. Stolley Park Road, Grand Island, NE 68801.
Groups are invited to tour the Hornady plant while in Grand Island in June for the 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships. Tours will be conducted at 8:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday - Thursday (June 27-30). Sorry, but no tours are available on Friday. Reservations are required, as these slots fill up quick and they only have a limited amount of guides available.
Contact Dannielle Garcia (308-382-1390 ext. 290) directly to make a reservation or if you have any questions.