FIRST LEGO League Jr.
It’s never too early to discover STEM. FIRST LEGO League Jr. is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids ages 6 to 10 while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®.
Guided by two or more adult Coaches, teams (up to 6 members, grades K-4) explore a real-world scientific problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc. Then they create a Show Me poster that illustrates their journey of discovery and introduces their team. They also construct a motorized model of what they learned using LEGO elements. In the process, teams learn about teamwork, the wonders of science and technology, and the FIRST LEGO League Jr. Core Values, which include respect, sharing, and critical thinking. At the close of each season, teams come together on a regional basis to strut their stuff, share ideas, celebrate, and have fun! (http://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/flljr)
Elementary students get to:
- "Think About It" by exploring the challenge from different angles
- "Learn About It" through research to discover what exists and what the future holds
- "Build It" by solving a current or future problem and building a prototype machine with at least one moving part from LEGO elements
- "Show It" with making a poster explaining what they learned, how they learned it, and explain their LEGO model
- "Share It" at an organized event with reviewers and others who ask the children about what they learned and to explain what they built
Stay Connected with Nebraska FIRST LEGO League Jr.