Regional Interview Contest
4-H members may enter the Regional Interview Contest by submitting a registration form, three copies of a cover letter, and three copies of a resume to their local county Extension office. Members that are 4-H age 11 and older (11 as of January 1) may participate. Two divisions will be available at the regional competition Division I, 4-H ages 11-13, and Division II, 4-H ages 14-18. The Regional Interview Contests are typically held in May and June. Youth may select the location they participate in.
Division II (senior division) winners of the Regional Interview Judging Contests have the opportunity to advance to the State Interview Judging Contest, which is held during the Nebraska State Fair.
Date: June 17, 2015
Register by: June 3, 2015
Time: Scheduled Throughout Day
Location: Via Distance Technology
Contact: Sue Pearman, 308-645-2267
West Central District
Date: April 25, 2015
Register by: April 10, 2015
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST
Location: *New for 2015 - UNL West Central Research and Extension, 402 W State Farm Road, North Platte, NE
Contact: Heather Borck; 308-696-6784
Date: May 21, 2015
Register by: May 6, 2015
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. CDT
Location: Animal Science Building, Lincoln
Contact: Shane Potter; 402-472-9026
Date: May 21, 2015
Register by: May 6, 2015
Time: 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. CDT
Location: Northeast Community College Lifelong Learning Center, Norfolk, NE
Contact: Kim Bearnes; 402-439-2231
- The Entry Form (pdf | doc) and three (3) copies of the contestant's résumé and cover must be submitted when registering for the regional contest.
Registration is $5.00. Make checks payable to University of Nebraska-Lincoln Registration for regional competition must be submitted by a UNL Extension 4-H staff member.
- Any member 4-H age 11 and older (11 as of January 1) may participate at the regional competition.
- Youth may participate in one Regional 4-H Interview Contest of their choice. Regional contests are held in North Platte, Norfolk, Lincoln and the Panhandle via distance education.
Registrations are due to the Regional Contest coordinator two (2) weeks prior to the contest.
- Registration must be submitted electronically to the appropriate Regional Contest coordinator by the county extension staff, followed by hard copies of entries & outlines.
- Counties must provide three (3) copies of contestants cover letter and résumé with the 4-H member's registration form.
- Each contestant will mail three typewritten cover letters and three typewritten job résumés to the Regional Contest Coordinator. Cover letters and job résumés should not exceed one page each.
- Each participant's cover letter, résumé and application will be the result of his or her own efforts. If a contestant's materials are found to not be their own original work, that contestant will be disqualified from the Interview Judging Contest.
- Participants are encouraged to use examples related to their 4-H experience whenever possible when preparing their cover letter, résumé, and interview.
The Day of the Contest
Cover Letter (Completed before contest) ..................................... (Points – 50)
Résumé (Completed before contest) ............................................ (Points – 75)
Application (Done day of contest) ................................................ (Points – 25)
a. Students will complete a standard job application on-site, prior to the personal interview.
b. Students will assume the application is for the job for which they provided their cover letter, résumé and accompanying references.
c. Students must provide their own writing utensil.
d. Points awarded to each contestant for the application portion of the contest will equal the average of the total points awarded by each judge.
e. The use of notes will not be permitted.
Personal Interview (Done day of contest) .................................. (Points – 150)
a. The interview will last between ten to fifteen minutes
b. Points awarded to each contestant for the personal interview portion of the contest will equal the average of the total points awarded by each judge.
As this contest simulates an actual job interview, spectators will not be permitted in the interview judging room.
Thank you Trusted Choice Insurance,
a proud supporter of Nebraska 4-H and the Interview Judging Program.
Nebraska 4-H Program Contact