Superintendent: Darci Pesek, Fairbury
Assistant: Monte Stauffer, Omaha
The purpose of this event is to provide an opportunity for 4-H exhibitors to demonstrate their skills and knowledge in all areas of production and management in beef, dairy, goat, sheep, or swine, to strengthen communication and decision making skills and to recognize excellence in these areas.
- Only 4-H members exhibiting in the current State Fair and in the species division in which they enter the Premier Exhibitor contest are eligible.
- Contestants must be 10 - 18 years of age as of January 1 of the current year.
- Contestants will be evaluated on the following basis:
- 30% interview
- 25% skill-a-thon
- 20% showmanship
- 15% written quiz
- 10% live animal placing (based on highest ribbon placing received)
- Contestants must pre-enter by August 10, 2018.
- Contestants will complete the written test & skill-a-thon portions of the contest online prior to State Fair. Contestants will take the online test at their local Extension Office so Extension Staff can proctor the exam. The tests will be available beginning August 15th and will need to be completed by Friday, August 31, 2018.
- The interview portion of the contest will take place during State Fair on Saturday, September 1, 2018. An interview schedule and letter will be sent to contestants after the August 10th registration deadline. Interviews will only take 10-15 minutes to complete so not to interfere with other activities, shows and contests.
- See master schedule for times and dates.
- References for the written test include the 4-H Manuals and Extension NebGuides listed as references for the State 4-H General Livestock Quiz Bowl Contest and the Ohio State Learning Labs. Other references include Quality Assurance materials and current industry issues. Only references pertinent to the species will be used for each respective species test.
- Previous participants may continue to enter the same species contest as long as they have not achieved first place. Previous first place winners are not eligible to compete again in the same species contest. They may compete in other species contests.
- Youth may enter in different species as long as they are exhibiting in that species division at the Nebraska State Fair.
- G-010-005 - Beef
- G-030-005 - Sheep
- G-035-005 - Swine
- G-058-005 - Goat