Tree Identification Contest
Superintendent: Steve Karloff, Lincoln
- Participant Eligibility:
- Contestant must be 4-H members at the time of the contest.
- Contestant eligibility will be verified by county Extension staff.
- Past high point individuals (i.e., Gold Medal Winners) may compete for individual and/or team honors.
- Participants are required to pay a non-refundable fee of $5/person.
- Participants will be notified of the location of the contest prior to State Fair.
- General rules from the 4-H section of the Nebraska State Fair apply.
Age Divisions will be determined by their 4-H age, the age of the youth before January 1 of the current year.
- F500046 - Intermediate: Ages: 10-13
- F500045 - Senior: Ages: 14-18
- Participants may enter as an individual and as members of a team. A team consists of 3 to 4 individuals with the total scores of the three high individuals making the team score. Membership of the team must be designated during pre-registration if team competition is intended.
- A team will compete at the level of the oldest team member, e.g., if a member of a team is in the senior division, the team will compete in the senior division, even if some members of the team are in the intermediate division.
- Individuals compete according to their age.
- Contestants will be required to identify the plant specimens by accepted common name, but knowledge of scientific names is encouraged.
- Contestants will identify 40 tree specimens described in the Tree Identification Manual (4H332)
- Specimens will always be whole leaves, but twigs, flowers, seeds, or other structures may also be included.
- Ties will be broken with supplemental "tie breaker" questions.
- Contestants will be allowed to touch specimens during the contest.
Contestants must bring their own pencil or pen.
- Tree Identification Manual (4H332)
- Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals will be awarded to the top 3 individuals in each age division.
- Placing ribbons will be awarded to the top 10 individuals in each age division.
- Ribbons will be awarded to each team member of the top 3 teams in each age division.