Superintendent-Brett Kreifels, Springfield, NE
Assistant Superintendent-Elizabeth Thiltges, Auburn, NE
Poultry General Rules
- General Rules - Nebraska State Fair Livestock General Rules & Regulations apply to this department. It is strongly encouraged that all exhibitors read and understand the Nebraska State Fair Livestock General Rules and Regulations and Livestock Health Requirements. These documents can be found on the Nebraska State Fair website.
- Certification of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) - All animals must be accompanied by appropriate health papers with the exception of rabbits and poultry originating from Nebraska. The CVI must be present and all livestock will be inspected by a veterinarian off site prior to entering the grounds. See Health Requirements for Animals Exhibited at the Nebraska State Fair for additional information.
- Check-In & Show Schedule - See Nebraska State Fair Livestock Schedule for arrival, check-in and show times and dates. Note: No check-ins will occur on Saturday.
- Judging Schedule - Critique judging of poultry exhibits will be at the same time as showmanship judging with two judges. Each 4-H'er should be present at the exhibit area at that time. If the participant or a substitute showman approved by superintendents is not present, animals will not be judged. Showmanship judging and critique judging will begin as per the Nebraska State Fair Livestock schedule.
- Release of Exhibits - All animals will be released according to the Nebraska State Fair release schedule. All poultry must be housed at the State FAir fron check in to the release time. Poultry removed early will forfeit awards.
- Number of Exhibits per Exhibitor - A 4-H member is limited to exhibiting 5 live bird entries (egg production trios are considered one entry). Egg entries are not considered in the 5 bird limit. Egg entries are limited to one dozen per exhibitor. Poultry exhibitors have the option to pre-ent up to 10 birds in ShoWorks for potential substitutions. The family will incur a $3 fee per bird and there will be no refunds for poultry entries. Families are not required to pre-enter more than five birds but will nto be able to make substitutions at check-in.
- Limits on Substitutions - Due to the specific cage size needs of the birds, substitutions can only be made within a class. For example, a large fowl chicken may only be substituted with another large fowl chicken. A goose may only be substituted for another goose.
- Dress Code - When showing animals, exhibitors must wear the official State Fair 4-H shirt. No exhibitor number harnesses may be worn. Blue jeans are appropriate. Hats shall not be worn in the show ring.
- Showmanship - All 4-H exhibitors are automatically registered by not required to show in Showmanship. See additional guidelines and information in the Showmanship section below. Review the Nebraska State Fair Schedule for times and dates.
- Awards - Appropriate awards will be awarded to exhibitors for Grand and Reserve Champion Large Fowl, Grand and Reserve Champion Bantam, Grand and Reserve Champion Production Trio, Grand and Reserve Champion Eggs, Grand and Reserve Champion Waterfowl, and Grand and Reserve Champion of Show will be awarded. Only entries receiving a purple are eligible to receive champion and serve awards.
- Entry Requirements - All poultry exhibited must be grown in the 4-H member's project.
- Breeds - To be eligible for breed exhibition, cockerel, pullet, cock, or hen chicken entries must be fair representatives of one of the breeds listed in the American Standard of Perfection or the American Bantam Assoc. Standard of Perfection.
- Production Trio - A pen of egg production birds can be hybrids, crossbred, or purebred and shall consist of 3 sexually mature females. Egg production females will be judged for production qualities only and need not necessarily conform to breed standards. Hens must be in egg production.
- Rules for Bantam & Other Poultry - The rules for standard size chickens apply equally to bantams, waterfowl, and turkey where applicable.
- Care & Handling Practices - Poultry must be cared for by the 4-H member. The superintendents are not responsible for daily care (feed is provided). Cardboard or other barriers may be used to help separate fighting poultry between cages. Barriers will not be supplied by the Nebraska State Fair and must be provided by the 4-H member.
- Basis for Judging - showmanship is based on grooming and training of the bird and the appearance and behavior of the exhibitor. The exhibitor must vocally explain the steps in their routine and the merit of the bird. Primarily showmanship is the skill of the exhibitor in presenting and explaining the bird before the judge. The excellence of the bird is not considered in scoring.
- The judges may or may not ask questions of the exhibitor at the close of the routine.
- Maximum length of showmanship presentations is five minutes. Exhibitors will be timed. One (1) point will be deducted for showmanship presentations exceeding 5 minutes.
- Refer to the Nebraska State Fair Livestock Schedule for the Poultry Showmanship schedule.
- G070018 - Intermediate Showmanship (10-13 years old by January 1 of the current year)
- G070019 - Senior Showmanship (14-18 years old by January 1 of the current year)
- G070001 - American (Plymouth Rock, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte, New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red)
- G070002 - Asiatic (Cochin, Brahmas, Langshan)
- G070003 - English (Cornish, Orpington, Australorps, Sussex, Dorkings)
- G070004 - Mediterranean (Leghorn, Buttercup, Minorca)
- G070005 - Continental (Polish, Hamburg, Campines, Faverolles, Houdan)
- G070006 - All other Breeds (Naked Neck, Game, Sumatra, Araucanas, Ameraucanas)
- G070007 - Game Bantam (Modern and Old English)
- G070008 - Single Comb Clean Legged (Plymouth Rock, Leghorn, Japanese, Rhode Island Red, Orpingtons, New Hampshire)
- G070009 - Rose Comb Clean Legged (Rosecomb, Wyandotte, Sebright, Leghorn, Belgian Bearded D’Anver)
- G070010 - All Other Comb Clean Legged (Polish, Cornish, Houdan, Sumatra)
- G070011 - Feather Legged Class (Silkie, Cochin, Brahma, Belgian Bearded D’Uccle, Langshan)
- G070012 - Ducks (all weight classes)
- G070017 - Geese (all weight classes)
- G070014 - Egg Production Trios
- Eggs will be judged on shape, color, and weight uniformity. Please do not refrigerate eggs prior to check-in in the eggs.
- 4-H'ers are limited to exhibiting One (1) dozen of either brown, white, or other colored eggs.
- G070015 - One dozen white eggs
- G070016 - One dozen brown eggs
- G070017 - One dozen other colored eggs