- Understand the spirit of 4-H and implement a program which aligns with positive youth development.
- Provide for the four needs of children: belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity.
- Become familiar with 4-H curriculum and additional project resources.
- Promote interest and participation in the project and related activities.
- Plan and conduct the number of meetings necessary to complete the project.
- Help members set goals, complete records, and submit record books for awards.
- Help members prepare exhibits for fair.
- Recruit, train, and involve teen leaders.
- Ability and desire to work with youth.
- Skills and knowledge to teach within the project area.
- Willingness to become familiar with the philosophy, programs, and guidelines of the Nebraska 4-H program.
- Will work primarily with youth, but parents can/should be involved in 4-H projects as 4-H a family affair.
- Will work cooperatively and communicate with county Extension staff, organizational leaders, and teen leaders.
- Complete the youth safety screening process
- Complete volunteer application
- Complete at least 2 hours of volunteer training annually
- Complete new volunteer training online
- Review and sign Activity Worker Guidelines
- Time required will vary based on the intensity of the 4-H project.