Nebraska 4-H summer camp employees have the opportunity to impact children's lives in many experiential, outdoor settings. Employees are continually challenged to find new ways of teaching, motivating, and playing all summer. Summer camp employees are leaders and are held to high expectations as they will be the best resource camp will ever have in delivering our mission! Summer camp employees are trained to help provide active, hands-on, fun, and cooperative outdoor programming designed to develop respect for self, others, and the environment. We hire a team who will constantly encourage campers to grow up to be the absolute best they can be! We believe our summer camp employees are the heart of summer camp; we give you the tools and the confidence to positively impact anyone you meet or interact with at camp this summer! You will be the key to helping others discover, learn, and grow.
Summer Program Staff
Summer Program Staff must be at least 19 years of age or older. They are seasonal, paid, full-time staff that live at camp and are responsible for daily programming and program areas all.
We are looking for summer staff who:
- Have a desire and ability to work with youth in the outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Have a willingness to discover, learn, and grow throughout their experiences with Nebraska 4-H Summer Camps.
- Are willing to embody activities and habits that are associated with positive role models for campers.
- Take experiences as learning opportunities and teachable moments.
- Have a willingness to listen, learn, and be considerate of others.
- Will be a part of a community built upon trust, caring attitudes, and enthusiasm.
- Are able to be supervised by peers of close age.
- Are patient and kind.
- Will continually respect the institutions, patrons, people, and mission of camp.
- Will contribute to the positive culture of camp.
- Willing to travel to multiple locations throughout the state.
- Want to have an ABSOLUTE BLAST this summer!
- Do not just work at camp... we want staff to LOVE to work at camp!!
Summer program staff plan, direct and supervise daily programs and cabin activities. They actively carry out camp standards, policies, and procedures that lead to a quality and safe program. As a staff member, you will have the opportunity to help campers and counselors learn life skills and develop confidence as you can facilitate: canoeing, tubing, swimming, rappelling, climbing, zip line, ropes course, shooting sports, arts, environmental education, campfires, backpacking, fishing, and many more programs. Reference the program staff job description (PDF at the top of this page) for detailed information on duties, expectations, and how performance will be evaluated.
Staff training for each site (State and Eastern) is slightly different based on the unique programming needs of each site. Key concepts that are cornerstones of the 4-H Summer Camp philosophy are delivered at each campsites' training. Our staff training will be held in Halsey. All staff members are required to be at every day and every session of staff training. This is to benefit you, the staff as a whole, and to ensure you receive all the required skills and knowledge to effectively create and maintain a positive and safe environment for campers and others at camp.
Other Training or Certifications
Summer program staff do not need any special training, however, any applicant with prior experiences, certifications, or training in these areas are encouraged to apply:
- CPR/First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid
- First Responder
- Riflery (4-H, CMP, or NRA)
- Water Craft Certifications
- ACCT Certification
If hired, ALL program staff members must have a CPR/First Aid Certification before training begins. 4-H Summer Camp will offer an opportunity for you to gain your certification, but if you cannot make it to this training, you must find an alternative resource to get CPR/First Aid Certified.
Camp Leadership Team:
Camp Health Team:
Camp Program Team:
- Desire and ability to work with children in the outdoors.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Minimum of 19 years of age before June 1, of the current year.
- We prefer candidates with college experience. Students of all college majors are encouraged to apply.
- A background check will be completed to ensure there are not any past offenses or a record that would be in violation of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln or for 4-H Summer Camps and Centers.
The initial application deadline is February 1 or until filled. All applications received after February 1 will be accepted until all positions are filled. Interviews will follow shortly, either by phone or in person. You will be contacted by a 4-H hiring representative to schedule a time.
Over the entire summer, program staff can earn $1,500-$3,500, which includes room and board, depending upon days off and camp schedules.
Note: Day Camp positions do not include room and board.
Summer program staff work full-time from mid/late-May to early August depending upon the site. Each week will have scheduled time off both during the week and one full day off per week. Unscheduled time off will need to be discussed in advance with your camp director and the appropriate paperwork submitted.
How to Apply
To apply, complete a 4-H Summer Camp Program Staff Application. Please reference the 2020 Application Instructions more information. After your application is received, you will be contacted to set up an interview time. Your interview can either be in person or over the phone.
Nebraska 4-H Camps and Centers is not currently looking to fill any permanent positions. Please check back later.