in Nebraska participate in 4-H camp programs each year.
Nebraska 4-H Youth Development offers a variety of day and overnight camps, which provide unique experiences that focus on life skills, including:
- science exploration
- leadership and citizenship skills
- future career opportunities
- healthy decision-making
- natural resources education
The purpose of 4-H camps is to provide unique educational opportunities that empower youth to be active in the pursuit of self-improvement in a safe, inclusive, and fun environment. The Nebraska 4-H camps offer all youth a place to discover, learn and grow while developing valuable leadership and citizenship skills.
Youth do not need to be enrolled 4-H members to attend a 4-H summer camp.
Nebraska 4-H offers two primary camping experiences:
- Day Camping: Day camping consists of multiple-day programs with youth returning home each evening.
- Residential/Overnight Camping: Overnight camping includes being away from home at least one night (residential, primitive, or travel camping).
A High-Quality 4-H Camping Program...
- Uses experiential learning (learning by doing) as a primary teaching approach.
- Provides opportunities to explore the natural world in a safe and inclusive environment.
- Includes planned opportunities to learn and apply life skills such as leadership, citizenship, community service and encourages healthy risk-taking.
- Provides programs, curricula, and procedures that are based on research and are developmentally appropriate.
- Fosters youth-adult partnerships that encourage active involvement and participation by youth and adults.
- Collaborate with Nebraska 4-H and UNL faculty and staff to provide premier learning opportunities.
- Is American Camp Association (ACA) accredited and undergoes a review of over 300 standards related to operations, staffing, emergency management, and program planning.
- Employees & staff that are CPR and First Aid certified.
Awards & Recognition
Nebraska 4-H aims to offer awards and recognition for all of its youth participants regardless of the delivery mode. 4-H campers, individually, have the opportunity to apply for and receive recognition through the following awards and recognition programs: