Program Assistants are the middle level in our staff development program. Program Assistants must be 17 years old or 16 years old with prior 4-H Camp experience. Program Assistants must complete a formal application and interview process - if selected they must commit to at least 3 weeks of camp (weeks do not need to be consecutive). Program Assistants will be given additional responsibility and leadership opportunities throughout the summer and serve as role models for the Jr. Counselor program.
Program Assistants must attend a leadership training session at the beginning of summer.
We are looking for Program Assistants who:
- Have a desire and ability to work with youth in the outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Have a willingness to discover, learn, and grow throughout their experiences with Nebraska 4-H Summer Camps.
- Are willing to embody activities and habits that are associated with positive role models for campers.
- Take experiences as learning opportunities and teachable moments.
- Have a willingness to listen, learn, and be considerate of others.
- Will be a part of a community built upon trust, caring attitudes, and enthusiasm.
- Can be supervised by peers of close age.
- Are patient and kind.
- Will continually respect the institutions, patrons, people, and mission of camp.
- Will contribute to the positive culture of camp.
- Willing to travel to multiple locations throughout the state.
- Want to have an ABSOLUTE BLAST this summer!
- Do not just work at camp... we want staff to LOVE to work at camp!!
Summer Camp Program Assistants provide weekly cabin supervision assist with leading camp programming, and lead campers from activity to activity throughout camp.
They actively carry out camp standards, policies, and procedures that lead to a quality and safe program. As a Program Assistant, you will have the opportunity to help campers and Jr. Counselors learn life skills and develop confidence as you assist in leading: canoeing, tubing, swimming, zip line, ropes course, shooting sports, arts, environmental education, campfires, fishing, and many more programs.
All Program Assistants are required to attend the “Leaders in Training” session at the beginning of summer. This is to ensure you receive all the required skills and knowledge to effectively create and maintain a positive and safe environment for campers and others at camp.
Other Training or Certifications
Program Assistants do not need any special training, however, any applicant with prior experiences, certifications, or training in these areas are encouraged to apply:
- CPR/First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid
- First Responder
- Riflery (4-H, CMP, or NRA)
- Watercraft Certifications
- ACCT Certification
If hired, Program Assistants will have the opportunity to participate in Lifeguard and CPR/First Aid training which will take place mid-May (prior to the Leaders in Training session).
- Desire and ability to work with children in the outdoors.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Minimum of 16 years of age before June 1 of the current year.
- A background check will be completed to ensure there are not any past offenses or a record that would be in violation of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln or for 4-H Summer Camps and Centers.
Applications are open now! Apply Today! Interviews will follow shortly after an application is submitted, either by zoom or in person. You will be contacted by a 4-H hiring representative to schedule a time.
How to Apply
To apply, complete a 4-H Summer Camp Program Staff Application. Please reference the application instructions for more information. After your application is received, you will be contacted to set up an interview time.