National 4-H Congress is an award program, which provides recognition to 4-H youth for their outstanding performances and achievements in 4-H. It is held annually in Atlanta, Georgia.
The purpose of National 4-H Congress is to:
- provide youth a high quality, relevant educational and cross-cultural experiences not otherwise obtainable within the state.
- provide an experience focused on current themes of high interest to youth.
- respond to the diversity of needs and program priorities from state to state.
- create a learning environment comfortable for youth coming from diverse backgrounds and program experiences.
- involve youth as full partners in planning, implementing and leading the program.
- "salute" the contributions that youth currently do and make in their communities now and in the future.
- enhance visibility for the 4-H youth development program and Extension.
Nebraska can send delegates to National 4-H Congress each year. Nebraska delegates are selected for a trip to National 4-H Congress by submitting an Achievement Application for state competition. Applicants will be chosen for partial scholarships to attend National 4-H Congress. Alternates are also selected and may attend National 4-H Congress at their own expense.
Youth must be enrolled in 4-H to attend National 4-H Congress. Youth must be between ages 15 (as of January 1 of the Congress year) and 19 years of age.
4-H'ers may only attend National 4-H Congress once. 4-H'ers attending National 4-H Congress are ineligible to win future awards to attend. However, if a 4-H'er was awarded a trip to Congress and declined the award, they are still eligible to win future awards.
Applicants are selected for a trip to National 4-H Congress by submitting an Achievement Application for state competition in one of five program areas. 4-H'ers can only represent Nebraska at National 4-H Congress in one program area.
To attend National 4-H Congress, 4-H'ers must complete an Achievement Application and submit it for their County's competition. The application must then be selected to represent their county at the state level competitions. 4-H'ers may submit only one application. At the State level, applicants will be selected to represent Nebraska at National 4-H Congress. Please see Achievement Application for more information regarding the submission process and deadlines.
Delegates will be chosen to receive partial scholarships to attend National 4-H Congress. Alternates will also be selected and may attend at their own expense.