The State 4-H Dog Show and Skillathon Contest offer 4-H members opportunities to demonstrate their skills with their canine companions and test their knowledge of dogs. This year's events will be held at the Nebraska State Fair on Sunday, August 29, 2021.
Interested in volunteering? Nebraska 4-H relies heavily on volunteers in the days leading up to and during the Nebraska State Fair. Visit the State Fair 4-H Volunteer page for more information.
Youth interested in participating in the Nebraska State Fair must complete enrollment by June 15.
Dog vaccinations must be up to date and not expire before August 29, 2021. All 4-H Dog Show exhibitors must submit a Dog Vaccination Certification (SF263) for each dog being shown. The form must be signed by a veterinarian. Dog Vaccination Certification Forms must be submitted to your local county office by August 10.
All 4-H Dog Show and Skillathon entries must be made in ShoWorks before 8:00 PM CST on August 10. This entry process must be completed by the 4-H exhibitor (or their family). Fees must be paid for using a debit/credit card. There are no other options for payment.
Schedules & Show Programs
Show Programs - Show programs will be uploaded as they are finalized. Programs are also available in the Nebraska State Fair 4-H mobile app.
Dog Skill-A-Thon Resources
- American Animal Hospital Association
- AKC Dog Breeds
- American Rare Breed Association
- ASPCA Dog Care
- Companion Animal Health Resource Center: Baker Institute - Animal Health
- Companion Animal Parasite Council
- Ohio State Learning Lab Kits
- Pet Education: Anatomy, Behavior & Diseases of Dogs and Puppies
- The Merck Veterinary Manual
- The Tick App
- Washington State University College: A to Z Index of Pet Health Topics
- Basic Reproduction of the Dog
- K-9 Structure and Terminology–Step-by-step guide that provides information on the anatomy of dogs and provides an understanding of how their body's work as well. Gilbert, E.M., & Brown, T. R. (2001). K-9 structure & terminology (Second ed.). Wenatchee, Washington: Dogwise Publishing.
- PAWsitively Youth: A Guidebook about dogs for community Outreach Leaders - Topics addressed include safety, basic nutrition, anatomy, and health care. Breeds of dogs, ethics, and careers for people who work with dogs are also explored. Palmer, D., Wiesen, B., E. Noble (2008). Ithaca, NY: Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Sevice. ISBN 978-1-933395-19-7 https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/67151
Campbell, Karen L., and John R. Campbell. Companion Animals: Their Biology, Care, Health, and Management. 2nd ed., Pearson Prentice Hall, 2009.
- The Complete Dog Book for Kids, Official publication of the American Kennel Club, copyright 1996 and AKC's Guide to Purebred Dogs poster. The complete dog book for kids. (1996). New York: Howell Book House.