Nebraska 4-H Youth Development Delivery Mode
Nebraska 4-H school enrichment programs are learning experiences delivered to youth in cooperation with public or private school during school hours in support of school curriculum. These programs, delivered by 4-H staff, trained volunteers, or teachers, are built to enhance the subject matter being studied in the classroom and provide non-formal, hands-on education to complement formal education.
The purpose of a 4-H school enrichment program is to encourage long-term involvement in 4-H, enhance the relationship between 4-H and school systems (public and private), provide informal education to complement formal education, enhance the subject matter being studied, and foster and promote enthusiasm and support for participation in other 4-H programs.
Youth do not need to be an enrolled 4-H member to participate in the 4-H school enrichment program.
4-H school enrichment programs are conducted during school hours in partnership with classroom instructors. The educational experience is delivered either by a 4-H staff, trained volunteer, or teacher. Programs include a minimum of six hours of educational experiences that engage youth in hands-on learning opportunities that support the school curriculum.
A High-Quality 4-H School Enrichment Program...
- Is a sequential and varied learning experience supporting the school curriculum.
- an evaluation is completed by teachers and/or youth participants.
- Youth are able to articulate that the experience is a 4-H sponsored project.
- Uses experiential learning (learning by doing) as a primary teaching approach.
- Shows evidence of fostering the Essential Elements of 4-H Youth Development.
- Includes planned opportunities to learn and apply life skills such as leadership, citizenship, community service and public speaking.
- Provides experiences to develop in-depth knowledge about one or more of the seven Nebraska 4-H content priorities.
- Provides programs, curricula, and procedures that are based on research and are developmentally appropriate.
- Provides participants and volunteers access to resources of land-grant universities and to county, state, and national 4-H opportunities.
- Fosters youth-adult partnerships that encourage active involvement and participation by youth and adults.
- Provides safe and healthy physical and emotional environments.
Awards & Recognition
in Nebraska participate in 4-H school enrichment programs each year.