Adults interested in judging county and state 4-H projects, including live animal shows, static exhibits, and contests need to complete the Judges Registration. By completing the judges registration online process, you are agreeing to be screened according to the 4-H Youth Safety Policy, verifying your receipt of the UNL Activity Worker Guidelines and signing the 4-H Code of Conduct. Once the screening process is complete, registration information will be supplied to county Extension offices and State Fair 4-H superintendents. Those interested in hiring you to judge will contact you directly.
Judges must have registered by September 30, 2019, in order to be included on the statewide judges list for the 2020 fair season. Judges must be registered by September 30, 2020, in order to be included on the statewide judges list for the 2021 fair season.
Ages & Stages
We are excited that you have chosen to help expand a young person’s experience by being a 4-H judge. As part of your role, we want to prepare you not only as it related to content but also as it pertains to the entire youth development experience. The three-minute video below is designed to help you think about your role as a judge and the kinds of views we bring into the experience. As you watch the video below, some questions to think about:
- What kinds of feelings do you bring into the judging experience?
- How do your past 4-H (or other experiences) influence your role as a 4-H judge?
- What are some unconscious biases you might have about a 4-H’er you will be judging?
- What are the unconscious biases the 4-H’er might have about you?
- What might you do/say to make sure the 4-H’er has the most positive experience?
STEAM Clothing Introduction
Preparing Clothing Exhibits