National 4-H Conference is the premier national civic engagement opportunity for 4-H members across the country. Delegates not only learn while at the conference but also have the opportunity to practice and apply in a real-world setting their newly developed and refined skills. The National 4-H Conference is held annually in the Washington D.C. area.
The National 4-H Conference provides 4-H youth an opportunity to make decisions that will shape their future, by including their ideas and recommendations in 4-H program development. The purpose of the National 4-H Conference is to:
- help selected youths and adults develop their maximum potential by providing opportunities to participate actively in 4-H program development outside their states and at national levels.
- assist states in the further development of a system for involving youth, volunteers and professional staff in 4-H program planning in their states.
- provide an opportunity for the input of youths, volunteers, and professional staff into the National 4-H Program Development Committee deliberations.
- provide a system for an exchange of 4-H programming ideas among states.
- provide an opportunity for Conference delegates to update elected and appointed government officials, national associations, donor groups, etc., on current developments in 4-H national, state, and local levels.
Delegates are selected each year to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference. Nebraska delegates are selected for a trip to National 4-H Conference by submitting an Achievement Application. Partial conference expenses and transportation from Lincoln are provided for 4-H Conference delegates by the Nebraska 4-H Foundation.
Expectations of National 4-H Conference Delegates:
- Represent state at National 4-H Conference
- Share conference experience with Extension staff
- Give a brief report to the Nebraska 4-H Foundation Board
- Participate in the selection of future delegates
Youth applicants must be enrolled 4-H members.
Youth must be between ages 15 (as of January 1 of the Conference year) and 19 years of age.
Youth may only attend National 4-H Conference once.
To apply to be a delegate to National 4-H Conference, youth must complete an Achievement Application. Please see Achievement Application for information regarding the submission process and deadlines.
Applications are reviewed by a state committee. The committee will select individuals to participate in interviews. These finalists will participate in virtual interviews on the fourth Saturday in January. Final selection will be based on the applicant's communication skills, both interpersonal and public and their ability to provide leadership and develop support for an issue or platform related to 4-H. The interview committee will select 4-H members to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference annually.