National 4-H Conference is the annual premiere national civic engagement opportunity for 4-H members across the country. Delegates will not only learn while at the conference but also have the opportunity to practice and apply in a real world setting their newly developed and refined skills. The National 4-H Conference is held annual at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland. This year's conferences will be held on April 7-12, 2018.
The National 4-H Conference provides 4-H youth an opportunity to make decisions that will shape their future, by including their ideas and recommendations in 4-H program development. The purpose of National 4-H Conference is to:
- help selected youths and adults develop their maximum potential by providing opportunities to participate actively in 4-H program development outside their states and at national levels.
- assist states in the further development of a system for involving youth, volunteers and professional staff in 4-H program planning in their states.
- provide an opportunity for input of youths, volunteers, and professional staff into National 4-H Program Development Committee deliberations.
- provide a system for an exchange of 4-H programming ideas among states.
- provide an opportunity for Conference delegates to update elected and appointed government officials, national associations, donor groups, etc., on current developments in 4-H national, state, and local levels.
Two delegates are selected each year to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference. These applicants are selected based on an initial application which includes a cover letter and resume. The top 8 applicants are asked to participate in a virtual interview. From there the two Nebraska delegates are selected.
4-H members who attend National 4-H Conference must be 15 (by January 1 of the conference year) and 19 years old. 4-H'ers can only attend the National 4-H Conference once.
The application includes a cover letter and resume. The cover letter and resume should be stapled together. Do not use plastic covers or include the applicant's photo.
The cover letter should be addressed to the Nebraska National 4-H Conference Selection Committee. It should introduce the applicant by briefly highlighting the 4-H'ers leadership and by explaining why they want to be selected for this award.
The resume should hightlight the 4-H'ers career. It should be 2 pages, single-sided using Times New Roman, 12 point font with 1-inch margins on all sides. Resume must include all of the following:
- Contact Information including: address, phone, email, etc.
- Education: year in school, GPA, etc.
- Personal Goals
- 4-H Career Highlights (include overview of projects)
- 4-H Activities
- 4-H Honors and Awards
- Experiences in Public Speaking
- 4-H Leadership Experiences
- 4-H Citizenship Experiences
Application Submission & Deadline
The application (cover letter and resume) should be submitted by December 1 to:
1071 County Road G
Ithaca, NE 68033-2234
Application Judging Criteria
Applications are reviewed by the State Awards Committee and will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Individual meets the age criteria
- Experiences in 4-H Leadership - 50%
- Volunteer leadership
- Elected/appointed leadership
- Experiences in 4-H citizenship and community service - 25%
- Experiences in 4-H projects and/or programs - 25%
- Learning experiences
- Accomplishments and recognitions
- Experiences in public speaking
Applications are reviewed by the State Awards committee. The committee will select 8 individuals to participate in virtual interviews. The 8 finalists will participate in virtual interviews on the third Saturday in January. Final selection will be based on the applicant's communication skills, both interpersonal and public and their ability to provide leadership and develop support for an issue or platform related to 4-H. The interview committee will select two 4-H'ers to represent Nebraska at the National 4-H Conference annually.
Partial conference expenses and transportation from Lincoln are provided for two 4-H Conference delegates by the Nebraska 4-H Foundation.
Expectations of National 4-H Conference Delegates:
- Represent state at National 4-H Conference
- Share conference experience with Extension staff
- Give a brief report to the Nebraska 4-H Foundation Board
- Participate in the selection of future delegates