It’s never too early to discover STEM. FIRST LEGO® League Explore is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids ages 6 to 10 while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®.
Guided by two or more adult Coaches, teams (up to 6 members, grades 2-4) explore a real-world scientific problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc. Then they create a Show Me poster that illustrates their journey of discovery and introduces their team. They also construct a motorized model of what they learned using LEGO® elements. In the process, teams learn about teamwork, the wonders of science and technology, and the FIRST LEGO® League Jr. Core Values, which include respect, sharing, and critical thinking. At the close of each season, teams come together on a regional basis to strut their stuff, share ideas, celebrate, and have fun!
Elementary students get to:
- "Think About It" by exploring the challenge from different angles
- "Learn About It" through research to discover what exists and what the future holds
- "Build It" by solving a current or future problem and building a prototype machine with at least one moving part from LEGO® elements
- "Show It" with making a poster explaining what they learned, how they learned it, and explain their LEGO® model
- "Share It" at an organized event with reviewers and others who ask the children about what they learned and to explain what they built