Nebraska 4-HNext Chapter
Next Chapter at Nebraska is a college readiness program offered to enrolled 4-H members at the beginning of their 8th-grade year. Throughout high school, Next Chapter scholars engage in a variety of events and activities designed to help them explore career opportunities, develop research skills, and experience a variety of learning methods that will help them transition to and succeed in college. The Next Chapter program:
- Inspires youth to choose to continue their education after high school.
- Promotes awareness of higher education options.
- Develops college and career readiness skills.
- Helps students pair their interests with career choices.
- Encourages students to explore careers.
- Develops important life skills, including social skills, stress management, self-discipline, self-motivation, and responsibility.
As part of a partnership with the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Admissions, all Next Chapter scholars are automatically pre-admitted to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Scholars who participate in Next Chapter at Nebraska will:
- Be invited to a celebratory event at UNL with their families in the spring of their 8th-grade year.
- Be pre-admitted into UNL upon enrollment in the program starting in 8th grade.
- Participate in college preparatory activities and curriculum throughout high school.
- Be prepared for a successful transition to college.
WHAT IS NEXT CHAPTER ABOUT?
- Identify career and academic goals
- Meet with professionals in career areas
- Job shadow opportunities
- Reading and note-taking
- College research skills
- Effective communication and public speaking
- Best practice for completing college applications and essays
- Develop a portfolio to effectively communicate accomplishments
- Complete college visits
- Study and time-management
- Best practices for self-motivation
- Explore job application process, resume writing, and interview skills
COUNTIES OFFERING LOCAL PROGRAMMING
The counties in green are those that are currently coordinating and delivering Next Chapter programming on a local level. Local programming might include day-long retreats, school enrichment programs, or club activities. For more information about local events and activities, please contact your local Extension office.