The Nebraska 4-H Achievement Application is a standard application form used for the selection of county and state award winners, including Nebraska delegates to National 4-H Congress and National 4-H Conference, as well as Nebraska 4-H Foundation scholarship award recipients.
Two versions of the application are available:
- Junior Achievement Application for ages 8-14 (county-only)
- Senior Achievement Application for ages 15-18 (state-eligible)
Counties may choose to use the Achievement Application in selecting a variety of county-level awards and recognition. To apply for county-level awards and recognition, submit a complete application via email to your local Extension office by their deadline. Each county implements its own application deadlines and requirements. Please contact your local Extension office for more information.
Only Senior Achievement Applications (ages 15-18) are accepted for state-level awards and recognition.
4-H members ages 15-18 as of December 31 of the current year are eligible to participate in the state-level awards application process regardless of the delivery mode in which they participated.
Nebraska 4-H Foundation Scholarships
The Nebraska 4-H Foundation utilizes the Achievement Application for awarding scholarships. Youth interested in applying for these scholarships must make that designation on their application, as well as complete the additional section titled "Nebraska 4-H Foundation Scholarships." Additional materials are required for youth applying for scholarships, including a copy of current transcripts and ACT/SAT scores. These materials must be submitted digitally along with the completed Achievement Application. Scholarship applicants must follow the state-level completion and submission procedures below. For more information, please see Nebraska 4-H Foundation Recognition.
Note for Scholarship Applicants only:
- Only the application review committee will have access to transcripts and test scores.
National 4-H Conference & National 4-H Congress
Nebraska 4-H utilizes the Achievement Application to select delegates for National 4-H Congress and National 4-H Conference. To apply as a delegate to either national experience, youth must make that designation on their Achievement Application, as well as complete the additional section titled "Representing Nebraska 4-H." Delegate applicants must follow the state-level completion and submission procedures below.
Generally, delegate applicants should:
- Be age 15-19 during the calendar year in which the trip occurs in order to be considered.
- Not have been a delegate to the program in which they are applying.
- Be able to miss one full week of school and/or work to attend the program.
- Be a participant in any Nebraska 4-H program or delivery mode, including clubs, camps, school enrichment, or afterschool programs.
- Be dependable and punctual.
If selected, delegates will be expected to:
- Participate in an orientation and complete pre-program assignments
- Check and respond to email and other online information regularly in preparation for the leadership experience
- Participate fully in the program
- Carry out follow-up responsibilities designated by the 4-H program
- Make public appearances for 4-H
Notes for delegate applicants only:
- A fifth page is allowed for delegate applicants.
- As you complete the application, remember that while participation in 4-H programs, leadership, and community are important, the information you can share when you return from the leadership experience is equally important.
- Delegates may be required to travel to an airport that is not the closest to them due to chaperone location and cost restrictions.
Applications must be completed and submitted electronically. For convenience, three electronic formats of the application form are available, including a:
- PDF Form
- Word Doc
- Google Doc - Read-only. To edit, create a copy by selecting File – Make a Copy – Rename the document with your last name, first name, and county. Then finish editing the document for your awards application.
A complete application includes:
- Designation of Awards and Program Area of Submission
- About Me page
- My Experience pages - Limit responses to a maximum of four pages, single-space, 12 point font.
- DELEGATE APPLICANTS ONLY: Representing Nebraska 4-H (National Application) page - A fifth page is allowed for youth applying as delegates to National 4-H Conference or National 4-H Congress.
- SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS ONLY: Nebraska 4-H Foundation Scholarship page - Youth applying for the State Scholarships must complete this additional section and attach the following items with their application:
- Copy of current transcripts
- ACT/SAT score
Applicants should not send a list of awards received. Youth may include selected awards as part of their "My Experiences" section of the application.
Creativity is encouraged. Applications may include bulleted lists, photos, infographics, etc. to help tell the 4-H member's story.
Only one application is required and permitted even if youth are applying for multiple awards and recognition.
Applications must be submitted to the county Extension office by the county's designated deadline for county-level participation. County-level deadlines may vary. Make note of your county 4-H deadline and adhere to it for county review. Contact your local Extension office for more information.
Following a county-level review, youth may make revisions as needed before submitting for state-level review.
State-level applications must be emailed to 4HAchieves@unl.edu. The state-level application submission deadline is January 15. Files should be labeled with the applicants last name, first name, and county. For example: "Walker Robin Douglas-Sarpy.pdf".
State-Level Awards Selection
A selection committee will screen applications. In the selection process, significant accomplishments in your 4-H experience, leadership, community involvement, and career spark are given more consideration than the number of 4-H projects completed. Applicants who have not been awarded a National 4-H leadership opportunity previously will be given preference.
Applicants may be contacted for further information or to complete additional application or selection requirements, such as interviews.