The Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest provides youth an opportunity to test their knowledge of growing fruits, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants. The contest is open to all youth, as well as adults. Youth do not need to be enrolled 4-H members to participate. The contest will be available from 8:00 AM on Friday, June 7, 2019, through 8:00 AM on Monday, June 17, 2019.
Before beginning the online contest, youth will need to fill in all of their information, including full name, county, and 4-H age (age as of January 1st of the current year).
The online contest should only be taken once by each participant.
No study materials are to be used while taking the online contest.
The contest is composed of three parts:
- General knowledge questions,
- Plant part and seed identification, and
The contest will allow participants an opportunity to review the answers prior to submitting. Once submitted, the participants will see their score but will not be able to see which questions were answered incorrectly. After the contest has completed on June 18th, the participants may request to see the scores and answers. Requests may be sent to Elizabeth Killinger at 308-385-5088 or email@example.com.
No awards are offered or provided by Nebraska 4-H. However, some county 4-H programs may offer awards and ribbon placings if they choose to use the online contest as their official county-level horticulture contest. For more information, please contact your local Extension office.
Some counties may use the Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest as their official county-level contest and award ribbon placings. They may also have additional requirements, age divisions, or in-person contest events for 4-H members. For more information please contact your local Extension office.
References for Written Exam and Judging Sections:
- Plant Propagation Chapter, NJHA Study Guide
- Environmental & Horticultural Plants Chapter NJHA Study Guide
- Managing Trees & Shrubs Chapter NJHA Study Guide
- Plant Nomenclature Chapter NJHA Study Guide
- Everyone a Gardener! 4H334
- Growing Great Houseplants 4H418
- All About Annual Flowers EC12-61- 77
- Selecting and Preparing Vegetables, Herbs and Fruits for Exhibit 4H226
- Judging Horticultural Products Section NJHA Study guide
- Preparing Cut Flowers for Exhibits at County and State Fairs 4H227