Nebraska 4-H takes the health and safety of our community very seriously and we are carefully monitoring the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation.
As United States and global health officials continue to address the spread of the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 infection, health and emergency preparedness officials at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln are monitoring the situation in collaboration with our university and governmental partners. In doing our part to be responsible about convening large groups of people, we are carefully reviewing calendars and determining how we proceed with each scheduled event. This will be a fluid process as we continue to monitor all available information in the days and weeks ahead.
Presently, we have made the decision to cancel all events scheduled for March 16-29. While this was an extremely difficult decision, we are putting the health and well-being of our staff/families/youth at the forefront. From March 30 - May 9, Nebraska 4-H programming will resume in a virtual format. This includes all scheduled educational programs, competitive events, and 4-H club and council meetings hosted by Nebraska 4-H. Additionally, there will be no tagging or weigh-in; families will be responsible for their own tagging and DNA collection.
We are continuing to plan for summer events and will make determinations one month in advance of the event and then continue to monitor the situation up to the event.
We thank you for your continued patience and support as we learn more from our public health officials and educational partners, and determine the best way to continue serving young people during this time. For updates on Nebraska 4-H and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s evolving position on COVID-19, please visit our website at covid19.unl.edu. We also encourage you to refer to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for the most current recommendations pertaining to health and personal risk factors.
We will communicate decisions about Nebraska 4-H state-level programs on this page and encourage you to visit your county webpages for up to date information on local programming. Please check back regularly as this is a developing situation and in the coming days, weeks, and months we will know more about the local implications of COVID-19. If you have questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nebraska 4-H Event Update
Statewide Events - Canceled
- Nebraska 4-H Spring Break Day Camp, April 18-19 - CANCELED (3/31/20)
- Nebraska 4-H District Horse Shows, June 15-19 - CANCELED (3/25/20)
Note: For 2020, all eligible youth may participate at the State 4-H Horse Show without qualifying.
- Nebraska FIRST LEGO League Jr. Showcase, March 19 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
- Next Chapter at Nebraska Statewide Reception, April 27 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit, events scheduled prior to May 9 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
Statewide Events - Postponed
- 4-H Companion Animal Challenge - originally scheduled for March 28 - This event will now be held virtually. Dog Skillathon and Cat Skillathon contests will not be offered this year. There will be no entry fees. Entry forms will be completed online and are due April 13. Live demonstrations will be done virtually during the week of April 13. (3/31/20)
- 4-H Horse Stampede - originally scheduled for March 28 - This event has been rescheduled for June 12 and will be held in conjunction with the State 4-H Horse Expo in Grand Island. Any youth who entered for the March event will need to re-enter. Entries are due June 15. (3/31/20)
- 4-H Chick Days - originally scheduled for March 14 - This event has been rescheduled for June 6th. (3/12/20)
Statewide Program Updates/News
- 4-H Horsemanship Advancement Levels - Written exams are available online through county Extension offices. Skills tests and demonstrations are currently on hold.
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animals - YQCA is offering a 25% discount for online courses during the month of April.
Statewide Events - No Changes
- Big Red Camps, June 7-12
- PASE & Life Challenge, June 22-23
- State 4-H Public Speaking Contest, June 24
- Nebraska State 4-H Horse Expo, July 12-16
Note: As District 4-H Horse Shows have been canceled, all eligible youth may participate in the 2020 State 4-H Horse Show.
Note: The 4-H Horse Stampede will be held on June 12 in Grand Island in conjunction with the State 4-H Horse Expo.
For more information about local 4-H events, contact your local Extension office.