Nebraska 4-H takes the health and safety of our community very seriously and we are carefully monitoring the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation.
As United States and global health officials continue to address the spread of the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 infection, health and emergency preparedness officials at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln are monitoring the situation in collaboration with our university and governmental partners. In doing our part to be responsible for convening large groups of people, we are carefully reviewing calendars and determining how we proceed with each scheduled event. This will be a fluid process as we continue to monitor all available information in the days and weeks ahead.
(Update 5/4/20) Nebraska 4-H programming will proceed in a virtual format through June 15. This includes all scheduled educational programs, competitive events, and 4-H club and council meetings hosted by Nebraska 4-H. Additionally, there will be no tagging or weigh-in; families will be responsible for their own tagging and DNA collection. We are continuing to plan for summer events and will make determinations six weeks in advance of the event and then continue to monitor the situation up to the event.
We thank you for your continued patience and support as we learn more from our public health officials and educational partners, and determine the best way to continue serving young people during this time. For updates on Nebraska 4-H and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s evolving position on COVID-19, please visit our website at covid19.unl.edu. We also encourage you to refer to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for the most current recommendations pertaining to health and personal risk factors.
We will communicate decisions about Nebraska 4-H state-level programs on this page and encourage you to visit your county webpages for up to date information on local programming. Please check back regularly as this is a developing situation and in the coming days, weeks, and months we will know more about the local implications of COVID-19. If you have questions, please send them to email@example.com.
Nebraska 4-H Event Update
- Wildlife Habitat Education Program (WHEP) National Contest, July 19-22 - CANCELED (4/6/20)
- 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships, June 21-26 - CANCELED (4/6/20)
- National 4-H Conference, March 28-April 2 - POSTPONED - Rescheduled for September 26-October 1, 2020 (3/16/20)
All previously scheduled face-to-face summer camp sessions have been CANCELED. (5/15/20)
Statewide Events - Canceled
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: NCTA, June 8 - CANCELED (4/27/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: NCTA, May 27 - CANCELED (4/23/20)
- Life Challenge, June 22-23 - CANCELED (4/20/20)
Note: County-level events may still be happening.
- Big Red Camps, June 7-12 - CANCELED (4/20/20)
Note: We are exploring virtual learning experiences in select content areas.
- UNL Livestock Judging Camp, June 2-5 - CANCELED (4/16/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Dawes County, May 21 - CANCELED (4/14/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Phelps/Gosper County, June 6 - CANCELED (4/10/20)
- Nebraska 4-H District Horse Shows, June 15-19 - CANCELED (3/25/20)
Note: For 2020, all eligible youth may participate at the State 4-H Horse Show without qualifying.
- Nebraska FIRST LEGO League Jr. Showcase, March 19 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
- Next Chapter at Nebraska Statewide Reception, April 27 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit, events scheduled prior to May 9 - CANCELED (3/16/20)
Statewide Events - Postponed
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Lincoln County, June 13 - This event has been postponed. A new date has not yet been set. (6/5/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Box Butte Western Livestock Challenge, June 16 - This event has been postponed to June 23. (5/26/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Colfax County - originally scheduled for May 28 - This event has been postponed. A new date has not yet been set. (5/15/20)
- Great Plains Livestock Judging Circuit: Cuming County - originally scheduled for June 19 - This event has been postponed. A new date has not yet been set. (4/23/20)
- PASE - originally scheduled for June 22-23 - Tentatively, this event is being rescheduled for September 21-22, 2020. (4/20/20)
- 4-H Companion Animal Challenge - originally scheduled for March 28 - This event will now be held virtually. Dog Skillathon and Cat Skillathon contests will not be offered this year. There will be no entry fees. Entry forms will be completed online and are due April 13. Live demonstrations will be done virtually during the week of April 13. (3/31/20)
- 4-H Horse Stampede - originally scheduled for March 28 - This event will be held virtually in conjunction with the Fonner Park State 4-H Fun Horse Show. Any youth who previously entered for the March event will need to re-enter. (6/8/20)
- 4-H Chick Days - originally scheduled for March 14 - This event has been rescheduled for June 6th. (3/12/20)
Statewide Program Updates/News
- Fonner Park State 4-H Horse Show - The face-to-face show has been canceled. Instead, a modified virtual opportunity will be offered. (6/8/20)
Note: As District 4-H Horse Shows have been canceled, all eligible youth may participate in the 2020 Fonner Park State 4-H Fun Horse Show.
Note: The 4-H Horse Stampede will be held virtually in conjunction with the State 4-H Horse Expo.
- State Fair Livestock Nomination Deadline Extended - The State Fair livestock nomination deadline has been extended from June 15 to July 1. Exhibitors will be required to send their DNA envelopes to their county Extension office and have completed their online nomination and payment by 11:59 PM CST on July 1, 2020. (5/15/20)
- State 4-H Public Speaking Contest - This event will be held on June 24th as previously scheduled but will be held hosted virtually.
- 4-H Horsemanship Advancement Levels - Written exams are available online through county Extension offices. Skills tests and demonstrations are currently on hold.
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animals - YQCA is offering a 25% discount for online courses during the month of April.
For more information about local 4-H events, contact your local Extension office.