Any 4-H member planning to exhibit livestock at the Nebraska State Fair must complete the appropriate livestock identification requirements for each potential animal. This process nominates the animals for the 4-H livestock shows at the Nebraska State Fair and provides evidence that the animals are part of the youth's livestock projects. The process makes an individual animal eligible for entry at the Nebraska State Fair.
Please note that completing the state identification requirements does not automatically enter the animal or exhibitor for the Nebraska State Fair. The exhibitor must still complete the separate online State Fair entry process. Animals that are not identified and nominated using the appropriate state requirements by the deadlines below will not be eligible to be entered or shown at the Nebraska State Fair.
County offices may still accept paper ID sheets/affidavits for their own record keeping but these will not be accepted as a form of identification for the State Fair.
Each exhibitor may nominate a total, between 4-H and FFA, as follows:
- Market Beef: 20
- Market Lambs: 20
- Market Swine: 40
- Market Goats: 20
- Online Nomination Website
- Online Nomination Instructions (2021)
- Livestock Nomination FAQs
- Breeding Validation Worksheet
- Dairy Affidavit
- Cattle Hair Sample Collection Instructions
- Sheep & Goat Hair Sample Collection Instructions
- Swine Hair Sample Collection Instructions
- Nebraska State Fair Entry Website
- Also see: State Fair 4-H Live Animal Exhibitor Resources
Requirements & Deadlines
|4-H Project||Nomination Requirements||Nomination Deadline*||Entry Deadline|
|Market Beef||EID Tag, DNA Envelope, and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Feeder Calf||EID Tag and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Registered Breeding Beef||Tattoo and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Commercial Breeding Beef||Tattoo or EID tag and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Market Swine||EID Tag, DNA Envelope, and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Breeding Swine||EID tag and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Market Sheep||Scrapie Tag, DNA Envelope, and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Breeding Sheep||Scrapie Tag and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Market Goat||Scrapie Tag, DNA Envelope, and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Breeding Goat||Scrapie Tag and Online Nomination||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Dairy Cattle||Dairy ID Affidavit||June 15||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Rabbit||No nomination required. Rabbits will be required to have an ear tattoo by the show entry deadline.||None||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
|Poultry||None||None||August 10 @ 8 PM CST|
*The Nomination Deadline is when all tagging is to be finished, animal information should be submitted online via the Show Stock Manager database, DNA collected and complete DNA Envelopes should be in the possession of the County Extension Offices.
- Exhibitors must enroll in the appropriate 4-H projects via 4-H Online by June 15.
- Exhibitors showing market animals at State Fair must have a signed and sealed official DNA envelope with hair samples for DNA verification turned into their county office and have completed the online nomination by the appropriate deadline listed above. (It is recommended that you make a copy of the completed envelope you turn into your county.)
For animals carrying an 840 EID tag, exhibitors must also obtain a Premises ID. Contact your local Extension office for details.
- Exhibitors showing breeding animals at State Fair must complete an online nomination by June 15.
- Exhibitors must complete the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) certification by August 10.
- Exhibitors must notify their county Extension office of any retags that may occur up until the time of check-in at the State Fair.
- Exhibitors will select which animals they have chosen to show at State Fair on the State Fair entry website. All nominated and validated animals will automatically be listed as options for entry registration.
- Exhibitors will be required to bring the breed association registration paperwork to check-in at State Fair for animals being shown in a breed class. The exhibitor's name should be identified on the registration paper.
County Extension Office Responsibilities
- Submit an 840 EID tag order for beef and swine animal exhibits.
- Schedule and publish weigh-in and/or tagging dates if offered in your county.
- Request, distribute, and collect DNA samples for families. 840 EID tags should not be distributed without the premise ID being recorded in 4-H Online. It is optional but recommended to record it on the DNA envelope.
- Inform families of the Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) training options available to them (in-person and online).
- Collect market beef DNA envelopes by the deadline listed above. Families will submit payment online. Copy all market beef DNA envelopes for your county records and mail all completed DNA envelopes to the Aksarben Stock Show office by June 20.
- Collect market swine, market lamb, and market goat DNA envelopes by June 15. Families will submit payment online. Copy all market DNA envelopes for your county records and mail all completed DNA envelopes to the Aksarben Stock Show office by June 20.
- Collect Premises ID numbers from exhibitors. Input those into 4-H Online by the validation deadline for that respective species (April 15 or June 15) and report the premise ID file to Brandy Schulze at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review and validate all online livestock entries for each exhibitor by July 1. Online validation is found at showstockmgr.com.
- Input nomination edits into Show Stock Manager for your families. Edits will be corrected by the Show Coordinator. For retags, directly notify Brandy Schulze at email@example.com and input the change in Show Stock manager.
- Inform families that all nominations have been validated and are available for entry at the Nebraska State Fair entry website.