The Nebraska 4-H Online Insect Identification Contest provides an opportunity for participants to put their entomological knowledge to the test. The contest consists of insect identification and multiple-choice questions. Participants will gain knowledge about insects and entomology through this competition. This contest can serve as practice for county contests and the State Fair 4-H Insect Identification Contests. Contact your local Extension office for more information about county-level Insect Identification Contests.
The contest is open to all youth, as well as adults. Youth do not need to be enrolled 4-H members to participate. The contest will be available from Friday, June 24 through Monday, July 11, 2022.
- Individuals compete according to their age division.
- Participants do NOT need to be enrolled in a 4-H entomology project to participate.
- The contest is open to everyone, not just 4-H members.
- Contestants will have to answer 50 multiple-choice questions consisting of identification and general entomology knowledge. Identification will come from the Specimen Study List, as common names may vary according to resources studied.
- Contestants will identify specimens by common name. The questions may require the meaning of the order name, type of antennae, type of legs, type of mouthparts, kind of metamorphosis, a fact about biology, or the scientific name of the specimen.
The contest will allow participants an opportunity to review the answers prior to submitting them. Once submitted, the participants will see their score but will not be able to see which questions were answered incorrectly. After the contest has completed on June 18th, the participants may request to see the scores and answers. Requests may be sent to Michael Eskelson at 308-284-6051 or email@example.com.
No awards are offered or provided by Nebraska 4-H. However, some county 4-H programs may offer awards and ribbon placings if they choose to use the online contest as their official county-level contest. For more information, please contact your local Extension office.
Some counties may use the Nebraska 4-H Online Insect Identification Contest as their official county-level contest and award ribbon placings. They may also have additional requirements, age divisions, or in-person contest events for 4-H members. For more information please contact your local Extension office.
Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America, by Arthur Evans, National Wildlife Federation, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 2007.
Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, by Eric R. Eaton and Kenn Kaufman, Houton Mufflin Company, 2007.
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders, by Lorus and Margery Milne, Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1980.
Peterson Field Guide to Insects, by Donald J. Borror, Richard E. White, and Rocker Tory Peterson, 1998.
Insect ID Contest Specimen Study List (with photos) - State and County Fairs
Insect ID Contest Specimen Study List - State and County Fairs
4-H Insect ID Contest Participant Answer Sheet
For questions, please contact: