EMPOWERING YOUTH LEADERSHIP & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
One of the most exciting opportunities we have as youth development professionals is fostering the talents of youth. Through programming focused on entrepreneurship, leadership development and community development we help youth grow into young leaders in their communities and provide pathways for youth to turn their ideas into reality. 4-H strives to provide opportunities for application and practice that will enable youth to develop the skillsets and the mindsets necessary to thrive as future entrepreneurs and future leaders. The ultimate goal is to ensure that youth are prepared to be active participants, leaders and contributors to their communities now and in the future. Feature programs delivered by 4-H Educators and Assistants include:
Youth Entrepreneurship & Business Opportunities Activities
More than 170 mentors, volunteers, and businesses supported Youth Entrepreneurship & Business Opportunities (YEBO) activities. Nearly 1,700 youth participated in the entrepreneurship curriculum. Seven hundred and nine youth participated in INVENTURE Day and 265 youth participated in Tinker. Explore. Create. (TEC) Box.
During INVENTURE Day, Students familiarize themselves with local businesses and entrepreneurial careers. Youth form teams to develop a unique business around a product. Ninety-seven percent of participants learned the process of creating a business. Seventy-five percent of participants are thinking about staying in the community to start a business.
TEC Box is an experiential learning and maker movement activity that actively engages learners by encouraging them to think of themselves, work hard, and learn with hands-on, minds-on methods. Eighty percent of participants believe they can be an entrepreneur. Ninety-two percent of the participants were encouraged to help others.
Leadership Development Programs
Over 830 youth improved leadership skills and confidence by engaging in leadership development programs including:
- Nebraska Human Resource Institute Leadership Mentoring – College student leaders meet weekly with K-12 aged mentees to expand their leadership development.
- Priceless Preteen – A summer leadership development program for 6th grade students.
- Leadership Summit: Hike Your Leadership Trail – A nationally-awarded leadership field day experience for middle school youth. Through this program, 5th and 6th grade students have increased their capacity through the discovery of their leadership temperament style.
Other impacts achieved include:
- 32% of youth participants agree that they can create positive change in their communities.
- 41% of youth believe young people have an important leadership role in their community.