All volunteers and staff who work directly with youth are required to complete the Nebraska 4-H volunteer screening process outlined below. Volunteer screening is done in order to assure a safe, positive, and nurturing environment for all youth involved with the Nebraska 4-H programs and provide protection for the child, the volunteer, the educator, the 4-H Council, the Extension Board, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension.
Initial screening of volunteers and staff will occur when they sign up to volunteer or are employed as an Extension professional. Re-screening for volunteers will be done every five years by district regardless of when the original screening was completed. Please see the process outlined below for more details.
VOLUNTEER SCREENING PROCESS
Step 1: Request an Invitation
In order to complete the volunteer screening, you will need to officially request an invitation by contacting your local Extension office. They will need your name and email address.
Step 2: Complete Online Screening Application
You will receive an email invitation from DHHS.CFSCR@nebraska.gov to the address you provided. That email will include a link to complete an online Central Registry Check. The link is valid for 30 days. You must complete your online screening application within 30 days of receiving this email. It is also recommended that you complete the application in one sitting to alleviate the complication of logging back into the system, reissuing an email invitation, or incurring double charges for screening.
Click the link or copy the link into your browser. The on-screen instructions will guide you through the background check process, including:
- Fill in your email address under Applicant's Email Address.
- Create and enter a four-digit PIN. Click Next. (Remember your PIN.)
- Enter your First, Middle, and Last Name.
- Enter your Date of Birth. Click check mark in the bottom left corner of the box.
- Enter your Social Security Number.
- Enter your current address.
- Enter your phone number using dashes, no parenthesis.
- Add other names you may have (maiden, former married name, or nickname) or check the no other names box.
- Add names and birthdate of children or check the no children box.
- List all previous addresses and cities in which you have resided or check the no other addresses box.
- Check the Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry (CAN Registry) and the Nebraska Adult Protective Services Registry (APS Registry) boxes.
- Click on online verification and answer the personal questions.
- Click submit.
Step 3: Check Your Email for a Response
You will receive an email from DHHS Central Registry when your Central Registration Check has been processed. This may take up to 24 hours. To access information regarding your Central Registry check, you must enter the Request Number and PIN you created. Click on Response Letter. Print for your own records.
Step 4: Repeat Screening Process as Scheduled
Volunteer screening is repeated every five years based on district regardless of when the original screening was completed. The district rotation is as follows:
- 2018 – Panhandle District
- 2019 – West Central District
- 2020 – Northeast District
- 2021 – Southeast District
- 2022 – Metro District
- 2023 – Panhandle District
- 2024 – West Central District
- 2025 – Northeast District
- 2026 – Southeast District
- 2027 – Metro District
When it is time for re-screening, volunteers will again receive an email invitation from DHHS.CFSCR@Nebraska.gov including instructions for completing the online re-screening process.