In order to run a club, county, or multi-county 4-H shootings sports program, leaders and instructors must be certified by Nebraska 4-H. Volunteers must attend a Leader Certification Workshop designed to cover the needed knowledge and guidelines to become a Certified 4-H Shooting Sports Leader/Instructor. Workshops offer the opportunity to:
- Network with other shooting sports instructors from across Nebraska.
- Share and learn techniques and knowledge which will develop your ability to effectively lead a local shooting sports program.
- Learn to use shooting sports to develop youth of strong character who possess effective life skills.
- Gain certification in one of the following disciplines: shotgun, rifle, muzzleloading, archery, hunting skills, pistol, or program coordination.
- Learn under expert instruction and learn to develop your skills as an instructor.
Workshops are offered several times each year, usually in the spring and fall. For a list of upcoming workshop opportunities, please see the Leader events within the Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports calendar. All workshops and training updates are provided by a team of nationally trained 4-H certified instructors who have significant shooting sports experience and expertise in the specific disciplines.
All volunteers including 4-H Shooting Sports Certified Instructors/Leaders must complete the Nebraska 4-H Volunteer Screening process. To begin this process, please contact your local Extension office.
Leader Certification Workshops
The Leader Certification Workshops are designed for adults 21 years of age and older (adult leader) and individuals, ages 14 to 20 (apprentice leader), that lead or would like to lead training in shooting sports projects. Specific discipline classes are offered for:
- Hunting skills
- Program coordination - This is for county staff who work with certified shooting sports leaders/instructors, 4-H club leaders for shooting sports projects, or 4-H volunteers managing shooting sports events/competitions. Coordinators will learn about the different disciplines, fundraising, positive youth development, handling conflict, and other essential skills.
These workshops meet the 4-H project leaders' requirements for certification and recertification.
The workshops will be composed of 15-18 hours of instruction. Ten to 12 hours of that time will be for a specific discipline (see list above). Training will cover the curriculum and lesson plans from the National 4-H Shootings Sports program, opportunities to teach your peer group, and range time. The philosophy and principles of positive youth development is a critical part of the training and makes up the remaining 3-4 hours of instruction. Individuals must attend both days of the workshop to earn their certification in the discipline of their choice.
Additional leader updates are also offered throughout the year. These are intended only for adult or apprentice 4-H volunteers who have previously attended a Leader Certification Workshop. These are an update training for existing certified leaders only, not for new or prospective leaders. Attendees must be currently enrolled Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports volunteer leaders in their county. Individuals may complete updates for up to 2 disciplines in one day.
Certified Leader Resources
- Upcoming Training Events
- Volunteer Screening
- Workshop Photos
- Certified Instructor Database (5/10/2021)
- Risk Management
- 4-H Archery Rules - Doc | PDF
- 4-H Pistol Rules - Doc | PDF
- 4HF92 Shooting Sports Record Book
- 4-H Event Registration Form Template
- 4-H Shooting Sports Participant Code of Conduct