Flaunt your photography, and submit your favorite photo for a chance for it to be showcased on the Nebraska 4-H social media channels.
The NEW 4-H Photography Showcase offers a project exhibition opportunity beyond traditional print media. This opportunity is intended to help youth develop professional and technical skills as photographers while fostering creativity and self-expression. Through this opportunity, youth are encouraged to practice and apply skills learned in their photography projects throughout the year.
Each month, 4-H'ers are invited to submit their favorite photo through the online submission form. Submissions are accepted on a continual basis. However, youth may only submit one photo per month. At the end of each month, a new photo will be selected from the submissions. The selected photo will be showcased online by Nebraska 4-H on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or on the Nebraska 4-H website. The 4-H Photography Showcase is open to enrolled 4-H members.
Photo & File Recommendations
The preferred photo orientation is horizontal. Photos must be of sufficient resolution and size for digital sharing. Images should have a minimum resolution of 72 ppi (pixels per inch). However, higher resolution is preferred in case cropping or resizing is needed for online sharing. Images should also be a minimum of 700 pixels on the shortest side (height or width). Again, larger is preferred in case resizing is necessary. Unless absolutely necessary, it is recommended to avoid cropping or resize images prior to submission. Generally speaking, images taken by modern digital cameras will be sufficient for submission without resizing or cropping. If needed, images may be cropped or resized prior to being showcased online. No other photo editing will be performed.
Rules & Guidelines
- Youth Eligibility: Participants must be current 4-H members ages 8-18.
- Photo Eligibility: All photos must have been taken by the 4-H member anytime during their 4-H career.
- Number of Entries: Youth may submit 1 photo per month.
- Photo Release by Artist: All photos must be submitted along with a signed and completed photo release by artist form. Forms must include handwritten signatures. Forms must be downloaded, printed, and signed. The signed forms may then be scanned or photographed in order to create a digital copy that can be uploaded along with a photo submission. Photos submitted with incomplete forms will be automatically disqualified.
By including a signed photo release by artist form, the 4-H member grants permission to Nebraska 4-H the use and rights associated with the use of the photograph, in promotional publication, online, and other media, without compensation. The 4-H photographer will be credited whenever and wherever the photo is shared, published, or reproduced in print or digital media.
- Personal Image Release: If photos capture human subjects, adult or youth, photographers must collect and submit signed photo releases for each individual in the photograph. Photos of people with missing or incomplete image releases for each individual will be automatically disqualified. Two separate forms are available: personal image release for youth subjects and personal image release for adult subjects. Be sure to use the appropriate form for your specific subject(s). Failure to do so will result in an automatic disqualification. Forms must include handwritten signatures. Forms must be downloaded, printed, and signed. The signed forms may then be scanned or photographed in order to create a digital copy that can be uploaded along with a photo submission.
- Submission: Photos must be submitted online through the official form. No in-person or email submission will be accepted. Photos must be submitted in one of the following file formats: gif, jpg, png, bmp, eps, tif, pict, or psd. Youth will receive a confirmation email including a copy of their entry once the official form is successfully submitted.
- Judging & Selection: Photos will be judged and selected based on presentation, appropriateness, technical quality, and creative expression.
- Notification: If their photo is selected, youth will be notified via the email address provided in their submission.
- Re-submission: Photos that have been selected to be showcased will not be re-selected and should not be re-submitted. Photos that are not selected may be re-submitted.